Last night, I was going to just make some oatmeal for dinner, but my sister saw this as unacceptable, so I chose to have some pasta instead. Lots and lots of pasta. I would estimate I have enough pasta to last a few lunches after this. It's pretty much just spaghetti or something like it covered in a low-fat, nutritional yeast based cheesy sauce.
Vegan Cheesy Pasta
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 boxes of pasta
- In a saucepan, mix the water and flour and stir until smooth. Add all other ingredients except lemon juice and pasta.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened to your liking, likely around ten minutes or so. Stir continuously.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Once the sauce is thickened, stir in lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Strain the pasta once it is completed.
- Place the pasta back in the pot and stir the sauce into it. Serve warm.
It tasted exactly like cheese as I remember it. Well, maybe not exactly, but close. Even better, it looked like it too. Some people asked if it was really vegan, so I would say it was a success. Even better, I have lots left over for the rest of the week.